Re: [Shop-talk] Audio receiver repair?

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Audio receiver repair?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:34:57 -0400
On Jun 9, 2014, at 6:53 AM, steve hochschild wrote:

> Sent a few days ago, but it never appeared on the list:
>
> You don't bother to test, you just replace all of the shiny silvery
> capacitors.  They are the ones that don't have stripes on them : )>
> [...]
> The issue is that this can only be done with components of a certain
> age, specifically, before circuit board manufacturing advances made the
> circuitry too small for our fat fingers to work.  Your amp might be too
> modern and miniaturized...  If you are committed to a high end solution,
> as you were when you bought the thing 20 or 30 years ago, then I think
> the guy's trade-in makes sense.

It is old enough to be repaired by me, though I may just send it to the guy as
a parts amp.

>  If you are just looking for music for
> the shop, and only are dealing with this because this box happened to be
> on the shelf, I would suggest a boom-box from a garage sale.  In fact, I
> will swap you a big old boom box for your dead amp, how about it?

If you're near Boston, and it has an AUX in, sure! If not, it's probably more
expensive to ship the units than to find a working used one. It is just for
shop music; all I need in an AUX port for the ipod.

Thanks all for the insight, especially the definition of "leaky" :-)