Re: [Shop-talk] Water treatment options

To: Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water treatment options
From: Benjamin Zwissler <bjzwissler@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:50:50 -0500
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
I can't speak to the acidity, but putting in a water softener is a
reasonably easy do it yourself project.  As far as I can tell the electonic
units are snake oil, they don't remove the hardness but claim to make it
not "feel" hard.  It still leaves the minerals in the water which is what
does damage to the plumbing and leaves deposits on fixtures.

After 10 years of struggling to keep a Sears traditional softener unit
working I recently replaced mine with a "professional" quality unit that I
bought via Amazon for about $600.

 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GEFKN8?ref_=pe_527950_33920290

It has a Fleck brand controller which seems to be respected among
professional plumbers and I'm told they make the Culligan units.  It was
sold from "ABC Water Equipment" and is a 48,000 grain unit.  The capacity
in grains is determined by the number of people in your house and the
hardness of the water.  We have a four bedroom house so I sized it for
that, but most of the time its just my wife and I and with just us it only
regenerates about once every two weeks, every 3-5 days is more
typical.  With a full house of 5-6 people it might be more right-sized.

The water softeners I looked at were often combined with iron
removal options but I didn't pay much attention.  We have city water and
that's not an issue.  There's a lot hype and snake-oil in water softeners
sales, but my conclusion, and also what Consumer Reports recommended, is a
standard unit with demand based regneration.  "You can pay more but you
can't get better".

Ben.....