Re: [Shop-talk] Computer stuff

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Computer stuff
From: rwil@sbcglobal.net
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 20:10:19 -0800
Cc: 'shop-talk List' <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
My first computer at Douglas Aircraft was an IBM 704.  At JPL it was a
709 and then a 7094 (transistorized).  We wrote in machine language
and Fortran and punched cards with each instruction line.   32K of
memory and tape drives.  Our link to Goldstone was via 5-hole Teletype
paper tape, fed into a reader at JPL.  Amazing what you can do with a
little computing power.  We needed 16-digit precision and I wonder
what is used now to get that precision and possibly more.  JPL had one
"Square Root Friden" calculator that we could use to verify the
programming.

A year later in grad school I was back to a 1620 like MJB.

-Roland