Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.
From: "ElanS4" <ElanS4@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 22:57:23 -0500
> I'm an IT pro and have had to deal with backups for decades.

Me too, or at least I used to be.  Years ago, I used to back up my work
system (a VAX) onto 8mm digital video tape and carry the backup home with me
every night.  Did a full backup each night, and switched tapes every
morning.  Kept on each week so I could always get close to a point in time
in the past if necessary.  Offsite storage and  system restore in about an
hour.  The other system had to keep the backup tapes in the computer room.
Of course it was a classified computer and you had to enter the room through
two bank vault type of doors.  A full Halon system took care of fire
concerns...  :-)

Now, I back up through a port on my network router to an external 3TB disk.
The router has a built in port to handle such things but it's a USB
connection.

If I wanted to protect that storage, I'd simply back it up to an external
drive USB drive, and put the drive in the safe.  It shouldn't really need to
be operating all the time.

> I don't really see an individual or family having that much data or need
for immediate recovery.

Yep, I occasionally do a full back up to an external drive, and an automated
nightly backup of the changed/added files to the external drive.

> I'd think some low power "near line" storage like a flash drive, and use
something to mirror it, like
> unix rsync or windows SyncToy could work.

Yep, or external USB drives.  ;-)

Tim Mullen