Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 17:09:02 -0500 (EST)
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> My question is, is there enough air flow in a safe to have a few hard
> drives running in there?  I have a Seagate BlackArmor 4 TB NAS that I want
> to put in the safe.
>
> Is there a certain temperature I need to maintain? Is there an effective
> way to monitor the temp inside the safe?

    Yes, there's a temperature you need to stay below.  Check the
documentation from Seagate, it will tell you the environmental conditions
that the device can tolerate.

    You can buy a network-friendly thermostat with an RJ45 connection.  The
questions are, though; a) what do you do with the signal once it's outside
the safe and b) do you then need to add a switch inside the safe ( and
more heat/power ).  Or you could put a $5 oven thermometer in there, and
check it from time to time.

    Regarding your first question... an archival device, which is what I
think you are describing, is not going to generate much heat nor require
much air for cooling.  Most of the time, it'll be sitting there like a
rock.  With all that metal (the safe itself) to soak up that heat, I
think your temperature will stay reasonable.

--
  David Hillman