[Shop-talk] Power supply noise?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Power supply noise?
From: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:18:59 -0800
I just got a mobile (as in normally installed in a car or truck) uhf/vhf
ham radio to use as my base station.  Since it's a mobile I had to get
a  12 volt power supply.  I got a (relatively) inexpensive 25 amp
switching power supply from the same vendor.  The fan is really noisy
and runs all the time.  No I haven't called the vendor yet, and my wife
threw away some of the packaging material anyway.  So, any ideas on how
to quiet it down?  I have already moved it to the floor under the radio
bench, but I was thinking of trying to find some kind of thermal switch
I could add to the fan circuit, or maybe just opening up the enclosure
and disabling the fan, or putting a manual switch on it.  Also thought
of building a larger enclosure around it which would still provide air
movement, but would block most of the noise.

Any ideas?

---
is active.