Re: [Shop-talk] Battery charger

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery charger
From: "ElanS4" <ElanS4@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:07:55 -0500
Brian Kemp wrote:

> Mark - I have a 12A Die Hard charger from Sears that has been very
reliable. <...>  It also has an engine start setting.  This
> is helpful when a battery is a little too far discharged, but you want to
take the car out for a drive.  I do about 5 minutes at
> the 12A setting then switch to the engine start and crank the engine.

I have two kinds of chargers.  I have a similar Die Hard charger that I've
used for 40+ years.  I works good when a battery is  dead and needs to be
brought up to charge.
Or I use it to bring it up enough that one of my BatteryMINDERS will start
charging it.  Leave that for a few days, and I have a completely charged
battery that works better than before.
The BatteryMINDERS  are used to keep at least two of my cars topped up.  One
is an AGM that sits outside with the battery being at least 10 years old.
The other keeps my garage queen fully charged.  It has its OEM lead acid
battery that is know to go dead in about 7-10 of sitting because of the
alarm drain, etc.  If it's going to be parked for more than two days, it
goes on the BatteryMINDER.

By the way, the BatteryMINDER is pretty much the same as a Battery Tender
Jr. (common cables, etc.) except the BatteryMINDER has the "desulfation"
mode that actually seems to work.

Tim Mullen