[Shop-talk] Power-vented water heater kicks out.

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Power-vented water heater kicks out.
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 21:34:58 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1379108098; bh=/w2iS/9iTjLYvfTBbifqSJQ9qfhNXZewnvEs3ePHhv0=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=JQQwWzIniSyZglHFLyrW7RCB1JB+cpsYITEszphU4RaKka5tbToF5ptWvviHQ71mS h99JxDuOJqB5bflebxleFcJsfxZvqKQCEWxUCvmNQLDbZAg1EkxrIV4WgUTOYbwosY wkC0u17dqDmHN8JNgmnUbetjIgRg210eDkUVMUL521wdjMW/aM/azfRhDY+Nikolyw UeJodAod3CzODuRkHtctbm+XbMC6XC3g8FDODy4c7ojgyNczqzSCvRd4XVHWcg+ksy qxgFWwhb3oO4qmS6568hgsCfGnM6jSa8MX0yJNvPgfcMZgQscEiUpVC5gIktHDFBVh Mw7tgIn0chELA==
We have a newish gas water heater with a power vent.  We built the vent line
out of Schedule 40 and minded the length and number of bends shown in the docs
that came with it.

Worked fine for a couple of months, then started kicking off.  Gave a 6-2 code
which implies venting was inadequate.

Took it apart and found a diaphragm switch which measures vacuum on the
upstream side of the vent blower.  Tech support says that the switch is
supposed to trigger at 3/4-inch of water.  Switch tests fine by mouth test, but
a human can pull several inches of water.

Measured vacuum at 7/8-inch of water.  This says the switch is bad, so I asked
them to send me a new one.  Went to Door County and Road America for a week.
Came back to find a large parcel.  They sent me the whole darn blower assembly.

I installed the whole assembly and the same thing still happens.  Get this:  It
runs OK if all the house windows are closed and either the exhaust fan in the
basement or the clothes dryer is running.

Can I get an auxiliary fan that goes in-line in a Schedule 40 vent line?

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier@comcast.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier