Re: [Shop-talk] finding buried gate wiring

To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] finding buried gate wiring
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:46:03 -0700
Cc: Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Eric,

Do you have a Dig Safe function in your state?  Search "dig safe" with
your state.

See http://www.call811.com/ and select "State Specific Information" in
the bottom center.

Out in Southern California, it is a free service for utility lines. They
have the equipment to trace lines.  Most recently, we had a natural gas
line leaking underground in the street.  It is a plastic line with a
single copper trace wire.  They accurately marked it about 3' under an
asphalt street.  They came out the same day for the gas line.  When I
used them for a gutter drain pipe, they came the next day.

I don't know if it will apply in your case, but it doesn't take much
time to call.  You will need to say you are digging when you talk to
them - perhaps planting a new tree near where you thing the box should be.

I'm surprised the electrician doesn't have the equipment to trace it.
I've seen contractors do it multiple times.

If you are in an area with building codes, you may also want to check if
the signal wires can be in the same conduit as the AC wires (you didn't
specify).   Perhaps someone else on the list can comment here.  I've
always run them separate.

Brian