Re: [Shop-talk] finding buried gate wiring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] finding buried gate wiring
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:28:18 -0400
On 7/26/2013 1:53 PM, Eric Murray wrote:

> I have a cheap metal detector.  Would it be able to pick up the wiring?
> Any other ideas for finding the missing box?  Divining rods?

Hi Eric..Has the contractor tried a toner? I've used one to trace wires
in the house. The resolution isn't great (it will locate the stud bay)
and there is considerable bleed-over to other cables that touch the one
being tested, and the signal drops off quite exponentially with
distance, but it might be a cheap first shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Tracer-Tester-Generator-Signal/dp/B001MB759U

jim