Re: [Shop-talk] Happy 4th, and I need a special part - search engines

To: <eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Happy 4th, and I need a special part - search engines
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 10:33:11 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
> Eric - Can you use a CPVC elbow with a reducing fitting?  It
> is good for hot water, so could be good for the heat.

Copper might be another choice; with some short straight sections of vinyl
or silicone hose and clamps to couple it.

MMC has USDA compliant silicone tubing in 3/8 and 3/4 id, rated to 450F.
Unfortunately they won't sell less than about $10 worth of each, so you'll
have to decide if your coffee pot is worth $30 to you.  Add some clamps and
a 5520K194 5/8" street ell plus a 5520K145 5/8 to 1/4 reducer, and I think
you're set.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-solder-joint-tube-fittings/=nh6p7r

Copper fittings are sized by inside diameter, but the OD of a 5/8" female
fitting is 3/4" and the OD of a 1/4" female fitting is 3/8".  Since your
coffee pot uses low pressure, I think you should be fine clamping hoses to
the smooth OD of the normally sweat copper fitting.  I've done the same
thing for systems running up to about 30 psi, and never had one come off.
If you're worried about it coming apart, you could always lay a bead of
solder on the fitting, for the hose to 'grab'.

-- Randall