Re: [Shop-talk] Spindle Sander question:

To: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Spindle Sander question:
From: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:02:06 -0700
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
My dad made a non-oscillating spindle sander using an old appliance
motor on end with a work table attached to it.  He put the sanding drums
normally used on drill presses on it and it worked fine.  He used it for
both wood and stained glass.

As for side loading a drill press jacobs chuck, yes, if you were trying
to use if for a milling or mortising machine it would be less than
ideal, but I wouldn't think burnishing leather would stress the
components that much.  And, as mentioned above, thousands (if not more)
drum sanding attachments have been sold for drill press use without any
problems.

Another option would be to get a cheap harbor freight drill press, or a
used one on Craigslist.