Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman Garage door opener Failure

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman Garage door opener Failure
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 07:29:00 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Actually I'm going to disagree with you on that basic engineering rule.
Mechanical security is exactly what solder is for.  It is a lousy
conductor.  It is true that large and heavy components should have
additional mechanical support, especially when used in an application
 that is subject to vibration or shock.  But for small through-hole and
surface mount components, solder is more than adequate.