Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman Garage door opener Failure

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman Garage door opener Failure
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 02:06:26 -0400
On 6/6/2013 12:13 AM, Jack Brooks wrote:
> Craftsman is made by Chamberlain.  They also make Lift-master, so this same
> issue could affect any of these brands or another brand.  It was just so

I have a Lift-Master with a 1999 build code in my place. It failed maybe
6 years ago, and after not being able to see anything defective on the
printed circuit, I grabbed the soldering gear and "re-flowed" or fully
re-soldered the whole board. Voila! It worked. Chamberlain broke a real
basic engineering rule: Do NOT use solder to mechanically secure
components to PCBs. I also glued all the offending big pieces down with
- forget exactly - sillycone or hot glue or similar. Better engineering
would have done that in the first place, or potted it, or put a ty-wrap
in, or some bracket.

-w