[Shop-talk] Whole-house surge protection

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Whole-house surge protection
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 09:49:03 -0400
A cow-orker with a new house asked me about whole-house surge
protection.  Where I live, the local member-owned electric utility
sells protection for large appliances and motors as a device in the
meter base.  They charge $6.50 a month for this service.  As I
understand it, you're basically buying insurance, as they repair any
damage due to surges with this service.

I see you can purchase a similar device at the local big box for
around $200.  The claim is that it offers surge protection similar to
a plug-in device, but also covers connected equipment.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-by-Schneider-Electric-SurgeBreaker-Plus-Whole-House-Secondary-Surge-Protective-Device-SDSB1175C/100127248#.UZ4bKsqOBhc

In my neighborhood, all the utilities are underground.  In 17 years,
I've not experienced anything that would require use of a whole-house
device, despite some really exciting electrical storms.  All of my
electronics are plugged into normal surge suppressors, but no problems
with them or the larger things so far.

Any of you guys have any experience or advice concerning this sort of thing?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.