Re: [Shop-talk] Rock 1, Mower 0 ?

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rock 1, Mower 0 ?
From: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 19:23:52 -0700
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sorry for the late reply.

I made a "ditch mower" to run on an outrigger bolted to my tractor
bucket.  It was essentially just a mower deck and motor bolted to a long
arm.  I used it a couple of summers then hit a big rock.  I was able to
straighten everything out and get it to run again but the crank runout
and vibration wallowed out the main seal in pretty short order and all
the oil ran out.  That pretty much killed it for good.

I'm going to make another one  some day, and  use heavy duty nylon
strings or rods instead of a solid blade, like a ho-made DR Mower. I may
even just buy a DR Mower head and work back from there.