Re: [Shop-talk] Rock 1, Mower 0 ?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rock 1, Mower 0 ?
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 08:49:47 -0500
Thusly spake Eric J Russell

Years ago I did the same with a B&S mower. The end of the crank where
the blade attached had about 1/8" run out, so I figured the engine was
toast. Just for grins I tried to straighten the crank by using a
suitable pipe to bend it back onto line. It worked, and I used that
mower for several years until I moved and didn't take it with me. I know
it can be unsafe, but it worked and didn't cost anything!

Running the engine without the blade doesn't always work because the
blade acts as a flywheel. Running without the blade makes the engine
speed changes faster than the governor can respond. This might be what's
happening when the engine doesn't rev correctly. You might be able to
hold the throttle linkage between the governor and the carb so that it
revs up more.

Peace,
Pat