Re: [Shop-talk] Need a variable 85-285 ohm resistor

To: Mark Watson <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need a variable 85-285 ohm resistor
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 17:50:53 -0700
Cc: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  I believe you are correct, the gauge is just an ohm
meter, with the resistance values mapped to pressure (in this case, temp
gauges work the same way).

The gauge has three connections, +12V (or whatever the electrical system is
producing, I believe the gauge has its own voltage compensation, unlike the
older gauges), ground, and the sense wire to the sender.  The sensor would
provide resistance between the spade connector and ground.  So I should be
able to connect the gauge up to 12 volts, and then measure voltage between the
sense terminal and ground to see what voltage the gauge uses to read the
resistance, right?

-Darrell

On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:42 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm05@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi, Darrell,
>
>   OK, the Electronics teacher in me just had to come out.  I poked around on
the net a little and couldn't find many details about how an electric gauge
like this would work.  My concern is about the power that a pot would need to
dissipate to simulate the sender.  According to one description the circuit in
the meter applies a constant current through the sensor so the meter is just
basically an ohmmeter with the meter scaled appropriately.  If this is true of
yours and the current is low enough you won't have any problems.

>   Based on my reading on the net I don't think the following is an issue but
I'm going to mention it anyway:

>   On the other extreme if a full 12V is applied to the sender then at the
lowest resistance it would pull I = V / R = 12V / 85 Ohms = 0.14A.  If you use
a potentiometer set to 85 Ohms then the pot would be dissipating P = V^2 / R =
12^2 / 85 = 144 / 85 = 1.7 Watts.  The two pots mentioned so far would fairly
quickly fry trying to dissipate this amount of power.

>   I did see one mention of 5V being applied to the sender.  In that instance
the power dissipation would be 5^2 / 85 = 0.3 Watts.  The pot that Greg linked
to is a 1/2 Watt unit so should would survive this treatment undamaged IF you
don't go much lower than that resistance (P = V^2 / R so R = V^2 / P = 5 ^2 /
0.5 = 50 Ohms minimum).

>   Now you've got me curious about how an electric oil pressure system. Blast
- yet another thing to investigate ;-)

>   Hope this helps and doesn't confound the issue.
>
> Mark Watson
> 1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' (stalled restoration :-(
> 1965 Ford Falcon - brake work
> and various other uninspiring transportation pods
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Randall
> Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:43 PM
> To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net Talk ; DarrellWalker
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need a variable 85-285 ohm resistor
>
> Radio Shack unfortunately doesn't carry much in the way of components any
more.  You're lucky if they get even close to what you want.

> But in this case, I think that
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062307
> will do well enough.  You won't be using its full range, but since it is 15
turns from 0 to 1K, you'll still get about 3 turns between 85 ohms and 285
ohms.