Re: [Shop-talk] Need a variable 85-285 ohm resistor

To: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "DarrellWalker" <darrellw360@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need a variable 85-285 ohm resistor
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:42:49 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1363135372; bh=eXg8q59n4wECb1vmG2jg0Eu+eaZvSa3fRlWn1E/aAH4=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=SD7nHOMv9ook4J+vrsw2xKKec8aPHbbSYjf06nUDjYrQ5zd1/WUgrE2SIHuAVKvWR I2vdd4cNDfHxyPnHkwssYiJHq8HgZDHv8yTUKrTABbNOT4W1TLfehNjGBlsbDevv3F +1zNftmVFIuNtEhSry7GXRFw8+y03IyxVqZW4/GxCU4GDLkhaeChyd51d3Tc5y2bfo 2WPH1EtgAML4gj0nMXzWkB9gFdNE/pEM/Aj4KcfZcb8AI1q2IL6Ml2bh605Xsn4N+j K8ou7rbsieNb04LCnn/RWpfrQd8Uz87vzS7UXRvHO6EGpDbpgXqH2WL4IuqkkSkUwM I54eqgRMGpjFg==
Hi, Darrell,

    OK, the Electronics teacher in me just had to come out.  I poked around
on the net a little and couldn't find many details about how an electric
gauge like this would work.  My concern is about the power that a pot would
need to dissipate to simulate the sender.  According to one description the
circuit in the meter applies a constant current through the sensor so the
meter is just basically an ohmmeter with the meter scaled appropriately.  If
this is true of yours and the current is low enough you won't have any
problems.

    Based on my reading on the net I don't think the following is an issue
but I'm going to mention it anyway:

    On the other extreme if a full 12V is applied to the sender then at the
lowest resistance it would pull I = V / R = 12V / 85 Ohms = 0.14A.  If you
use a potentiometer set to 85 Ohms then the pot would be dissipating P = V^2
/ R = 12^2 / 85 = 144 / 85 = 1.7 Watts.  The two pots mentioned so far would
fairly quickly fry trying to dissipate this amount of power.

    I did see one mention of 5V being applied to the sender.  In that
instance the power dissipation would be 5^2 / 85 = 0.3 Watts.  The pot that
Greg linked to is a 1/2 Watt unit so should would survive this treatment
undamaged IF you don't go much lower than that resistance (P = V^2 / R so R
= V^2 / P = 5 ^2 / 0.5 = 50 Ohms minimum).

    Now you've got me curious about how an electric oil pressure system.
Blast - yet another thing to investigate ;-)

    Hope this helps and doesn't confound the issue.

Mark Watson
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' (stalled restoration :-(
1965 Ford Falcon - brake work
and various other uninspiring transportation pods