Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky brake

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>, <eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky brake
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:11:58 -0600
If I am not mistaken that defines exactly what happens with the "frozen
cable".

Water gets into the cable housing and freezes. When you apply the hand brake
there is tremendous leverage and you can easily apply enough force to
overcome the freeze and set the parking brake. Return a few hours later and
things have refrozen but the only force available to pull the cable back
thru the housing is the spring at the caliper end. Not nearly enough to
overcome the frozen cable. Therefore the brake does not release and the
lever moves about the cabin freely as the spring force that normally
provides the resistance you feel is being held up by the frozen cable.

Options include: Do not use the parking brake in cold weather ... use the
parking brake but include "gentle prying" as part of the 'release parking
brake' incantation ... try to remove the water from the cable ... replace
the cable as the rubber boots that are suppose to prevent water from getting
in there in the first place may be shot.

If I recall correctly, when I replaced mine I shot a lot of motorcycle cable
lubricant into the new ones on my '93 MR2 in an effort to stave of the
inevitable water entry as long as possible.

Arvid