Re: [Shop-talk] radio/tv sync?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] radio/tv sync?
From: Matt Wehland <mjw@littlegrassy.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 22:47:25 -0600
Ok a quick search turned this up-
    http://www.fountainware.com/Products/AudioDelay/index.htm
or
    http://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/
No Idea if they work.

-----------------------

When I worked with MLB.com this was a real problem.
Sometimes we would get audio not in sync from the broadcast truck.
There solutions ranged from ten's of thousands of dollars (could only
delay audio, not video) to a custom million + dollar A/V router system
that had audio/video delays built in for just this problem (and many others)

You basically need a program/hardware that will delay the audio
(normally ahead of video) or delay the video (not often the issue) and
then manually sync them up and hope the delay doesn't change for the
duration of the event.

Heck just try having 2 TV's on cable, one HD one SD, there is normally a
significant delay between the 2 boxes on the order of a second or more
on the local cable system.
Makes it funny listening to the neighbors scream for a play a second or
more apart.
Even worse if the 2 TV's are in the same room/house.

Useless knowledge Alert-
In the old analog video days it was standard practice to use long runs
of cable (100's of feet) to time the delay of video signals through
different pieces of equipment.
Also had to be sure to keep the RGB signal cables the same length or you
ran into color shifts.

Sorry I can't be of more help.