Re: [Shop-talk] Another wandering off-topic.....GPS

To: Gerald Brazil <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Another wandering off-topic.....GPS
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:08:24 -0800
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Gerald - Lots of us share your annoyance with Garmin.  I have a Nuvi
(265 I think).   I always try and look at a map first.  I also use
fastest time setting, but for me, it thinks Pacific Coast Highway
through Long Beach, CA with traffic lights and congestion is faster than
driving a little bit further on the freeway at 75mph (non-peak traffic).

I think the issue is that it ignores red light stoppage time and assumes
you will travel the speed limit unless there is a traffic delay.

I've also noticed that Garmin traffic tends to lag behind reality. When
I'm going home at the tail end of traffic, I tend to ignore Garmin's
warnings about congestion ahead, but pay more attention when traffic
starts to back up.

Before leaving work, I normally check traffic on Google Maps as Los
Angeles traffic is a mess, but I have yet to move to a smart phone, so
Ms. Nuvi still keeps me company.

If I could make another reprogramming suggestion to the GPS
manufactures, I'd also have then say "you missed the turn.  Make a
U-turn now."  Instead, it tries to route me on a collection of streets
to drive around the block.

Brian