Re: [Shop-talk] out of the shop

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] out of the shop
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 22:46:53 -0500
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM, John Niolon <jniolon@att.net> wrote:
> I know lots of you guys are as active and probably a few that are a clumsy and
> accident prone as I am.  I'm wondering if any of you guys have had this
> surgery on their dominant arm ( surely there are a few)  and what exactly were
> your limitations and your ways of overcoming.

I once laid the back of my right hand in the table saw blade.  I had
plenty of time to learn to be ambidextrous.  All the things you
normally do with your dominant hand, you can learn to do with your
other hand.  If not, I'd still be sitting on the toilet.

Two things made life easy...first, you can tell Windows to swap your
mouse form right-hand to left-hand, so the index finger still does the
main clicking.  And second, keep Post-It Notes or tape handy - you can
stick the paper down while you laboriously try to scrawl a note to
yourself, since you can't hold the paper.

My problem was not as acute as yours, though, I think - I didn't have
the limited range of motion that you will, but there wasn't much point
in moving my arm anyway.  You'll struggle for a few days, and feel a
bit sticky, but you'll adapt.

I'm not sure what I can add to that which will be relevant to your
particular surgery, but I'd be happy to chat if you like - PM me and
I'll send my number.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

P.S.  The two facts I always mention after I've described my
"accident":  The first thing you say is not "Ouch!", but "Man, that
was stupid!"; and when the surgeon rebuilt my fingers, he put a curve
in them such that I can both type and hold a pint glass, so life
pretty much goes on as before...