[Shop-talk] out of the shop

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] out of the shop
From: "John Niolon" <jniolon@att.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 20:57:06 -0600
the shop content is that I'll be out of the shop for several weeks...

after struggling with a bad shoulder for 9 months, feeding it Tylenol and
muscle relaxers that did no good, loosing sleep and being hindered in pretty
much everything I do I broke down , had an MRI and xrays and the diagnosis is
torn rotator cuff on my dominant arm.  Solution is arthroscopic surgery to
repair... 6 weeks in a sling with no use of that arm then rehab and another
3-4 months of limited to finally good use of it...

I've been paying attention to what I do with my left arm (which is pretty much
everything I attempt) and I'm seriously concerned about 6 weeks without that
arm... besides writing and typing and anything mechanical down to brushing my
teeth. I don't see how I can manage without a manservant !  (wife says
womanservant is out of the question ;-)

I know lots of you guys are as active and probably a few that are a clumsy and
accident prone as I am.  I'm wondering if any of you guys have had this
surgery on their dominant arm ( surely there are a few)  and what exactly were
your limitations and your ways of overcoming.  I know about the sling and the
foam couch cushion under it... and all I read is that that arm doesn't get
raised up AT ALL for a while...  do you have use of your arm from elbow to
fingers IF you keep that shoulder/upper arm stationary ??? even if I had to
strap it to my chest I could possibly manage with the forearm and hand free...
How do you button blue jeans ?  or wash the side of your body that has the
good arm ???   anyway...

I'd love to have some conversation by email or phone with survivors...the
forum certainly isn't the place for it...   anyone want to answer about 600
questions and give me the 411 ??

thanks
John

What every man worth his salt should know how to do.....

Sweep a woman off her feet, ...motivate a peer
Make a wish come true - for someone else,
keep a promise... change a tire... calm a fear
make a child giggle...tell a ghost story
write a love letter, ask for directions