Re: [Shop-talk] Article on contemporary (somewhat shop-related) gadgets

To: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>, Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Article on contemporary (somewhat shop-related) gadgets
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 13:02:53 -0800 (PST)
I am actually replying to my own message (always bad behavior).

I looked up the consumption ratings for the EU2000:

RATED AC OUTPUT1600 WATTS
CONTINUOUS OPERATION TIME4HRS. @ RATED LOAD, 9.6 HRS. @ 1/4 LOAD
So it should burn 1.1 gallons every 4 hours at 1600 watts and 1.1 gallons every
9.6 hours at 400 watts

That 4 kW Generac would burn 4.5 gals every 10 hours at 1800 watts.

So, if my arithmetic is correct (and it very well may not be--someone should
check it), the little Honda generates 5.8 kWh per gallon running at rated
output
and ~3.5 kWh per gallon at 1/4 load.

The larger Generac generates 4 kWh per gallon at 1/2 load, somewhere between
the
two ratings (full and 1/4) for the Honda.

It would appear my belief that consumption is directly related to output has
some founding, it also would appear that for the Honda (and probably most
generators), though, it would be best to try to size the generator to run
toward
it's rated output where it is more efficient.  Of course there are noise,
longevity, etc., considerations involved as well.
best,

doug