Re: [Shop-talk] Article on contemporary (somewhat shop-related) gadgets

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>, Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Article on contemporary (somewhat shop-related) gadgets
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:20:19 -0800 (PST)
-If you get one of these big 6000 watt portable generators, you'll
probably need at least 12 gallons per day, so
you would be spending a lot of time in line at the gas station (if
it's even open).  And that much gas gets expensive:
at least $40 per day.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Well, yes and no.  The fuel consumption ratings generally are compiled at 50%
load, so if you are loading a 6 kW generator at 1/2 load, you will need to burn
enough fuel to generate 3kW of power which would be more than a 50% load on a
smaller generator.

While larger generators probably will burn more fuel "idling" than a small one
idling, with comparable levels of efficiency, they should not consume a great
deal more fuel while generating similar output.

I have this 4 kW Generac model that will run 10 hours @ 1/2 load on 4.5 gallons
of fuel:

http://www.generac.com/Portables/XG/Products/XG4000/

It can run all day on a tank at "normal" loads for me which are less than 1/2
load. I have been amazed at how little fuel it uses and do not fill the tank
anymore as it takes so long to burn a tank that I worry about old gas (I do use
Stabil).  :-)

An advantage of a larger generator is that you do have the additional capacity
if you need it.

best,

doug