Re: [Shop-talk] Oil, again

To: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil, again
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:44:37 -0400
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
I'm no expert, but I think they go to the thinner synthetic oil to increase
mileage by decreasing drag on the reciprocating parts.  I imagine you could
swap 10W30 dino and get the first oil change analyzed to see if there is an
issue (again, not an expert!).  or maybe extend the change intervals to
make the synthetic more economical.

 I run Mobil 1 in our cars, but only change the oil every 15k on the
toyota, v8 4runner, which makes the synthetic a bit more economical.  I buy
the oil in 5qt cans at Walmart.  I had been testing the oil with
Blackstone, but it always came back saying I could go longer between
changes based on the amount of additive pack that remained.  Our other cars
get free oil changes when the idiot light comes on, but they seem to go at
least 10k miles between changes -- maybe that's another reason some
manufacturers spec synthetics.

- Ian