[Shop-talk] Shower pans?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Shower pans?
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 21:30:16 -0400
So the garage shower, as it turns out, is shot. It's a one-piece
fiberglass unit and the floor of it has disintegrated.

I'd like to replace it with a Tileredi/Kerdi/prefab whatever pan and
then tile the walls.

The problem is that the old unit appears to be about 34" x 34". It's 34
inches from the surface of the drywall to the edge of the curb of the
shower unit, and 34.5" wide from drywall surface to drywall surface in
the alcove the unit is framed in.

I don't think I can fit the same kind of unit through the bathroom door,
and I want the durability of tile, so I don't want to replace the
pre-fab unit with another pre-fab unit. But I can't seem to find a pan
that looks like it will fit in the framed space. Should I be taking off
the thickness of the drywall? That'd probably make it about 35.5" wide
by 34.5" deep, though I have another three or four inches further I
could go into the bathroom, so it could be deeper.

The pans I'm looking at are $600, which is more than I want to risk on
something that might not fit. I can order a nominal 36" x 36" unit--are
these things like 2x4s and the 36" unit will fit? Or should I plan to
notch studs, or...?

And suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Scott