Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing Wrought Iron Railing

To: <kvacek@ameritech.net>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing Wrought Iron Railing
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 19:47:31 -0500
Thanks guys.  The house is 1000 miles away, so I can't easily go take another
look, but while the crack is rusty, I don't it cracked because of the rust.
And, because I think it is close to 60 years old, I am going to assume it is
thick enough to weld up.  That, said, the This Old House way of doing it right
is very good to know!  I will go that route if my initial patch doesn't hold
up.

As for the concrete, that is a very important point, one I hadn't thought of.
I will bring a gas torch with me to pre-heat the area, and a welding blanket
to lay down around it, just for additional protection.  The concrete is
already cracked, but that is the second question I was going to ask.  I will
ask that one separately, so that the information will be easier for someone
else to retrieve if they are ever looking.

Thanks again!  Exactly the advice I needed.