Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing Wrought Iron Railing

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing Wrought Iron Railing
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 17:23:57 -0500
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=ameritech.net; b=BJo8VFxkL6ucQQ+9b2sVMMLHV10Ce9ohI3N9L3EXEjBfB+LHAmArFYZs1+ob4RXDZZyaY/WOWvvxgDeMatgJEdChUKMfliWrJtyVWPu588AQJg2Siyfk2B4pQJOVi/KUPPXRZC15sqsbuIDCpwPoON+P4x6PfwDY4Gdyt3wsxyo= ; s=s1024; t=1346538244; bh=E92WlWy0+ECTyRm9ytQB38asHKlJJaQg9leTJGAvNHw=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language; b=yNCzdIC+YFwvO3p3Kvy7uupqYcA1WtlxDQJsRhpyDiSzBa0/7tuX+NfJ5aAis0lEPr+75ak5PxQbjidKHFzO0rgCKPVKJznRNdKBSwgLroYNp8IDKl0wRM8i6+EvOiRsCbeBz/v2EOJSsjK/Hypqxq87kDWYROHB46sysMwZ8/Q= 3nMbt24Y5T1yNF5KpxvaiqyE2L4H0IrwpTMdJkQdmAcjQPxwjvCXKfJI_hY_ gWTiUbkAg4.RzpFAbkth7y17b61BU2_1P92079Ap96AWp.PmeE.RnjzNhFur fg9N2ycvgm2Tc8OkKx2JsgbQzw.rQ1iHbIb9eFTlUq4c3tTQas4OF1MH2lNg B1p8c1GyN7bdczfbnWjUw604OIOMI8yutLNipxTE7l.FyzVcxOQr.66usYvp il0NS5R4yVCheXHPU_S2kbPuj4wGxQwb_lMiG88qs67g_SUrbWmfo6UL__2Q TQDoQvAFGd01XE6dyAvpz6CQd4ljudBn1XgGLapRa_CY3vSNZq7l3iXTShe0 sFNewmdTwqdRx3oo2iRqS71dcdTvLIBPYhFP2p4Db4U9rgr52RV1ygUckjs7 9rA--
Just be aware, if you're welding right along the concrete, that when welding
heat hits the concrete, moisture in the concrete will quickly heat into
steam and explode pieces of the concrete out - right at you.  If the
concrete is already cracked, maybe you'd be better off to break it away for
an inch or two at least.  If the concrete is still good, perhaps inserting a
solid piece of steel down into the part of the upright that's left in the
concrete and up into the part above-grade would be safer than welding.

If you want to go for it anyway, try to shield the concrete as well as
possible, and preferably preheat the railing in that area to drive off as
much moisture as possible before you start actually welding.  And if the
railing is the current-type thin and cheap stuff, maybe slipping a tube or
solid into the upright and also welding would be helpful, since a plain butt
weld into thin and rusted steel will be weak.

Karl