Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge per load and distance

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge per load and distance
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:33:50 -0700 (PDT)
It depends on what he's going to run from the generator. As a reference, the
small compressor I have will run the first time and pump up to the shutoff.
Anything else after that it suffers. Starts, Stops before the shutoff. I was
using 50ft of 14 guage. It works fine when plugged directly into the outlet or
using a heavier gauge extension. At first I thought it was overheating and put
a fan on it, and it helped slightly but it kept having the start issue until I
plugged in directly to the outlet. That same extension has issues running a
14" fan from a small inverter too, but it runs lower demand items with no
problems. Similar findings as the compressor. Works fine when plugged directly
into the inverter. The 12g extension is pricey, but if needed, get it.
Regards,

<shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Monday, August 13, 2012 10:28 AM
>Subject: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge
per load and distance

>Quick question.  Has anyone created an Excel
spreadsheet to calculate
>extension cord gauge requirements?
>
>A friend of
mine asked what size extension cords to get for his generator
>and I of course
I said "it depends."  Not being an electrician or an EE, I
>pointed him to the
formulas on eHow and showed him how to create a
>spreadsheet (attached) that
would calculate what extension cord gauge is
>needed.
>http://www.ehow.com/how_7812266_calculate-needed-make-extension-cord.html
>
>Before he goes out and buys extension cords based on what the spreadsheet
>says, I told him to hold-off until I could at least ask some other people
double-check the spreadsheet theory and answers.  If you have a moment,
>let
me know what you think of the spreadsheet results.  Also, would be
>interested
in knowing if there is a better spreadsheet/calculator for this.

>Thanks in
advance,