Re: [Shop-talk] keyboard help

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] keyboard help
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 16:01:04 -0700
Sender: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
I use a Gateway AnyKey keyboard. It has the macro feature built-in to the keyboard. The macro feature allows you to program any key with any combination of characters you wish. It uses the PS2 interface plug, not USB. It has worked on every computer I've built and OS's up to WinXP. I love it so much I've kept it since it came on a Gateway computer I bought back in '91 or so. I also like it because it has a pretty good feel to the keys. Many new el-cheapo keyboards have crappy feel and are difficult to type on. If you want a beautiful keyboard for typing, an IBM Model M has the best key feel of any keyboard ever made.

Anykey keyboards were manufactured by MaxiSwitch for Gateway. My part number is 2189014. Google keywords: AnyKey, Maxiswitch or Gateway 2189014, there are some out there for sale.

As a warning, there are similar looking Gateway keyboards, the distinguishing feature of an AnyKey keyboard is a row of 4 keys in the upper right labeled Program Macro, Suspend Macro, Repeat Rate and Remap.

        Here is one on eBay:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261015353866>

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 275,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       340,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car) 654,000 miles <- Gone to a new home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff