[Shop-talk] Shaky steering wheel

Subject: [Shop-talk] Shaky steering wheel
From: eric at megageek.com (eric at megageek.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 10:34:13 -0600
OK, Good afternoon all.

Quick question, my daily driver started a really weird symptom yesterday
on my way to church.  It seems that at low speed, turning the wheel a
little bit creates a pretty major vibration in the front end.  This
happens even with the truck on the lift.  I checked the power steering
fluid and that is fine.  I don't know how to further diagnose this problem
and I can't find anything on-line to look for.

Note, I drove the truck home w/out a problem on Thurs.  Then, during the
day on Fri, I manually moved the truck without starting the engine (I
turned the key to unlock the steering, then I put it in neutral and pushed
the truck forward (and turned the wheel).)  I had to move it back an forth
a few times like this.  Then, when I started the truck friday night, I
noticed the shacking immediately.

So I'm guessing I caused this issue when I turned the wheel with the truck
off.  Any ideas?  This is a 2001 Ford Explorer with 210,000 miles on it.
(I know, but it still looks new!)  8>)  I'd love to be able to fix this
before Easter.

Thanks again.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson