[Shop-talk] video gurus listen up

Subject: [Shop-talk] video gurus listen up
From: tr3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:47:02 -0700
> Ib m planning on making a recording of an engine start up... my video
> recorder is an older one with 8 mm cassettes.  Is there a way to
> convert 8mm
> cassette to a digital image that can be sent by email or shown on
> computer ???

Last time I needed to do that, I found a USB video capture device for under
$20.  Worked pretty good, just followed the installation instructions.  It
came with a program that would record video from the device to a computer
file in a variety of formats; which could then be edited (it came with a
simple editor, there are much more sophisticated ones available) and viewed
on the computer, or transferred to YouTube, video DVD, etc.

The device itself wasn't much bigger than my thumb, with a USB cable
sticking out one end and 3 or 4 audio/video cables sticking out the other
end.  It didn't do RF (channel 3) but my camera came with a little plug-in
module that had audio & video out on RCA jacks.

This isn't the same brand, but is very similar to what I had:
http://goo.gl/gKtWV

Now if I could just come up with a player to play those PAL VHS tapes.

-- Randall