Re: [Shop-talk] Painting Plastic

To: "'Bob Nogueira'" <bob@texmog.com>, "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Painting Plastic
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:30:19 -0600
Not knowing what specific plastic you have, this is a shot in the dark...

However, in general, plastics primarily tend to degrade via two major routes
- plasticizer migration and UV exposure.  Not sure what you can do to retain
the plasticizer in the material, but you can limit the UV exposure by
painting with a UV blocker.  If nothing else, the old standby is aluminum
paint - the aluminum flakes in the paint form a physical barrier to UV rays.

For painting indeterminate varieties of plastic, I've had good results with
Krylon Fusion.  It really adheres.  As a last resort for a tough problem, I
painted Fusion over 40-year-old Imron (still glossy) on my house shutters 2
years ago, with acrylic latex house paint on top of that.  Still perfect.

HTH
Karl