Re: [Shop-talk] balky Honda EU2000i generator -- resolved

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] balky Honda EU2000i generator -- resolved
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:25:24 -0800
I thought I would include a report of success in case it helped
someone in the future.  My Honda EU2000i generator refused to run
except with choke on full and without any load.  Doug Braun replied as
summarized below.  He was right.

I pulled the carb and cleaned the jets and flushed out everything I
could with some old time brake cleaner spray that can disolve most
anything (I didn't leave it on plastic parts for more than a moment
and flushed with gas).  The only thing I could not pull and flush was
the "pilot screw with limiter cap".  I didn't have the part and the
knowledge to remove the screw which would break when I tried to remove
it.  The engine now started happily and would run unchoked without
load but would die if I gave it any load.  I then checked the
resistances on the throttle control motor and the ignition control
module.  They were exactly on spec.  I was afraid that it was the
inverter module malfunctioning after 7 years of active use.  I checked
the parts cost: between $400 and $500.  Gulp.

Time for outside help.  I took the generator to the local Honda/John
Deere dealer service folks.  One week later it was returned running
happily under load.  I was charged $76 for carb cleaning.  I presume
that they got to the pilot screw with limiter cap or otherwise had
stronger carb cleaning methods than I had.  I didn't want to
disassemble the generator far enough to check out what they did.  I'm
just happy that it wasn't the inverter module.

-Roland