Re: [Shop-talk] Insulating a garage door

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Insulating a garage door
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 09:01:53 -0500
On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:22:27PM -0800, David C. wrote:
> I have a large roll up door on my shop.  It's about 12 x 12, regular
> sectional construction, with an opener.  It's also uninsulated.  I was
> thinking of gluing regular 1" foam board insulation (like foundation
> insulation) to the sections using canned spray foam like Great Stuff,
> rather than mechanically fastening.  Comments?  Does the foam stick/work at
> lower temps or should I wait until spring?

The polyurethane spray might expand and deform a door panel which might
interfere with door operation.  I simply used silicone caulking when I
insulated my door.  It's adhesive enough to do the job yet it can be
removed if necessary.

(Be aware that most building codes will require that you cover the foam panel
with some sort of firestop.)

In my case, insulating the door helped but another problem was getting a good
seal on the sides of the door, especially where two panels meet.  I still
haven't solved that problem.

JM

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums