[Shop-talk] making a slot in aluminum plate

Subject: [Shop-talk] making a slot in aluminum plate
From: jniolon at bham.rr.com (John Niolon)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:26:50 -0600
Hi guys and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ON SHOP-TALK !!!!!

I'm in the fabrication stage of an engine run in stand... stand is built...
"dashboard" is being fabricated... holes are  drilled for tach, water temp,
oil pressure, starter button and on/off switch...  I need to mount a throttle
control/cable and want to use an existing small engine throttle cable assembly
with the throttle bracket bolted under the dashboard and the  throttle lever
extending up through the dashboard.

I need to find a way to make a nice clean slot in 3/16" aluminum
plate...approx 1/8" wide and 2 to 3" long.  guess I could drill a 1/8" pilot
hole and file the slot but that's a lot of filing... give me some ideas on a
way that includes some precision and cosmetically pleasing...

guess I could do it with a cutoff wheel and dress it with a file or a dremel
tool... but it would eat/gum up some little cutting wheels...

suggestions ???

thanks
John

I'm sarcastic... what's your superpower ?