Re: [Shop-talk] Car detailing business

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Car detailing business
From: Shannah Miller <shannahquilts@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:46:04 -0800
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 4:52 AM, <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> Yes, I have pretty good traffic, in a very rich area.
>
> I would want to them to come to my place, so I can be sure that I have
> everything I need (water, power, etc.)
>
> What do you guys think about a 'full service' detailer.  I would do oil
> changes, minor repairs (bulbs, small dents/nicks) then the full detail. Do
> you think that would be a real draw for people?

It would be, for me.   Remembering to make appointments is
really hard for me, as I'm getting older.  Being able to make one
appointment to get both my oil changed and also my car
detailed would be a huge draw.  I'm guessing that people who
are really busy would be very interested, as well.

Since you have everything already, this would be a low-cost
startup, and honestly, I think it's well worth trying.

I think you're on the right track by asking for input.

All of the high-volume places I see around here who do detailing
have a washer and dryer for their towels.  One seems to use blue
towels for drying off water only, and green towels for using with
detailing products.  I think the rationale is that they can just throw
the blue ones in the dryer (or spin cycle of the washer) between
cars rather than using up all the water to keep rewashing them.
I don't know if it's worth going to that much trouble for a one or
two person shop, though.

The other suggestion I have is if you have questions about how
you want your work flow to go, in terms of what's set up where,
you could always practice on friends' cars (or your own) until you
get things set up the way you want.

Shannah

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums