Re: [Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)

To: <eric@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:38:53 -0600
I've found that Discount Tire (a national chain, part of Tire Kingdom and
another group or two) is very competitive and has or can get most any tire
I've ever asked for.  No tune-ups, no oil changes, only tires.

One advantage over Costco and Sam's is they stock or can quickly get a huge
selection of brands, and they're really tire experts, as opposed to the
typical installers at Sam's and Costco.  I've found them particularly
knowledgeable and honest about models and performance, though I doubt you
can beat Tire Rack for consultation.  They also match anyone's price
(including Tire Rack after adding shipping), have a road-hazard warrantee
and lifetime balancing, etc., just like most of the better places.  I've
bought my last 3 sets of tires from them.

Excellent customer service too.  I took my Stearman wheels and tires in to
have them break the beads and switch the tires wheel to wheel.  The tech
pinched a tube, and they immediately offered to pay for the new tube even
after I told them it cost over $100.  I came back with a new tube 2 days
later, they finished the job, paid me for the tube and shipping, and
wouldn't let me pay anything for the tire service because of my
inconvenience.  Made me a loyal customer.

Karl