[Shop-talk] Next question, large area outdoor lights

Subject: [Shop-talk] Next question, large area outdoor lights
From: cavanadd at frontier.com (David C.)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:33:10 -0800
MV lights are old tech and as someone else pointed out, high pressure
sodium are more efficient.  However, I went with a couple of CFL floods
to illuminate the area in front of my shop and I'm pretty happy with
them.  I'm using two outdoor rated floods in a more or less standard two
lamp floodlight fixture with a photo cell.  I think the floods are 23
watts each, and they put out what seems to be just about as much light
as the old 175 watt MV fixture they replaced.  I have been running CFL
lights outdoors in protected areas (but not enclosed fixtures) fixtures
for six or seven years now and haven't had any problems with them not
working in cold weather.  I have five or six little conventional 9 watt
CFLs running in porch light fixtures on photo cells around the property
and they seem to last just about forever.