Re: [Shop-talk] Need advice on shipping 1500 lbs from California to

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need advice on shipping 1500 lbs from California to
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:28:32 -0500
Arvid,

I have that same question.  When I went through this about a year ago,
the best option was for me to drive from Florida to California, stick it
on my trailer, and drive it back.

I tried everyone I could think of and every shipper mentioned anywhere,
and the responses still ranged from no response at all, to "you want to
ship a 'what'?", to that they did that a lot and would be happy to do
it...for $2200.

I just read Eric's response.  I have never dealt with that company.  If
they work for you, please let me know since I'm also trying to buy a
mill (from a fellow list member, even) in California and so far the
hardest part is getting the free week-plus to drive there and back.

I tried freight and rail shippers, and even made it clear time wasn't
particularly important.  Still no useful responses.  What got me
discouraged is that the shipper and my house are on either end of both
Interstate 10 and a rail line from each other.  It's a bit farther from
the shipper to either the rail line or the Interstate, but I'm a few
miles from either.  They just had to stick it on a train or truck, take
as long as they'd like to get it across the country, then I'd pick it up
from the depot.  I thought that should have been a more simple shipping
arrangement, and the mill was even on a pallet already.  Apparently not.

I guess if you don't find anyone, let me know and when I get over there,
I can get yours too.  I go from Florida to St. Louis and Chicago pretty
frequently and if you could meet me somewhere I could just deliver your
mill to you (if you can wait for me to go to California).

Scott

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums