[Shop-talk] Follow-up: Removing hardening-type Permatex No. 1

Subject: [Shop-talk] Follow-up: Removing hardening-type Permatex No. 1
From: kvacek at ameritech.net (Karl Vacek)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 22:17:05 -0500
A few weeks ago I posted, looking for something that would remove Permatex
No. 1 (the hardening type).  Lots of suggestions, but not much luck.
Eventually I found Permatex Gasket Remover (product 80645).  It's non-toxic
and doesn't seem to do anything to my hands, but with a few hours or more it
softens the gaskets and Permatex so they easily scrape off with a wooden
scraper (I'm taking stuff off of aluminum and magnesium castings as well as
plated steel, and don't want to harm the parts).

It comes in an aerosol brush-top applicator, which is good and bad.  Since I
needed to get into very tight spots, sometimes the applicator shot out more
material when I was just trying to spread what was already dispensed, but
all in all it was worth the aggravation.  Permatex is apparently having some
issues with the package, because I found more bad cans than I did good cans
on the shelf  The can gets very rusty at the top, which is visible through
the blister card (if you look for it) under the transparent cap.  And mine
ran out of propellant when it was about half gone, so I tore the can apart
and brushed it on to use it all up.  The steel container is merely a shell -
the stuff is in a bladder inside the shell, and the nozzle merely opens a
valve in the bladder.  Neat idea once they perfect it.

All in all, a good product other than the package issues.

Karl