[Shop-talk] Flooring for uneven basement?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Flooring for uneven basement?
From: jamesf at groupwbench.org (Jim Franklin)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:35:02 -0400
A long time ago (Dec 2010), I wrote:

> I'm renovating a basement and need to put down a finish floor. The concrete
is
> 90 years old and very uneven. Other than 1000 gallons of self-levelling
goop,
> I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this other than making a 2 sq ft grid
> and shimming each joint. 2 problems with this- I can't lose more than 3" of
> height, and the entire basement would need to be cleared to do this, and
> there's many cubic yards of stuff down there that has nowhere to go.

I ended up laying and shimming 2' on center PT 2x4s and covering with
Advantek. It worked for the most part, and will be fine with any resilient
flooring. I did end up needing to raise one portion of the floor, as the
corner where the homeowner stuffed all her stuff was the highest (of course).

It came out ok, not perfect by a long shot, owed to the inaccuracies of your
average 4' level extrapolated over 20'.  I did use my laser level for major
areas but there was too much in the way to use it everywhere, then it fell and
broke.

If I had to do it over again, I'd push for renting a scarifier and
professionally pouring a topcoat. Would have cost the homeowner about 25% more
but take much less time.