Re: [Shop-talk] Recommendations wanted re: used pick-up trucks

To: Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Recommendations wanted re: used pick-up trucks
From: Shannah Miller <shannahquilts@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:57:38 -0700
OK, I did read that you had taken the truck to
professional detailers, done the ozone treatments,
etc.

We had a similar problem (mold smell, not smoke)
with our 2005 Prius, and nobody could fix it, until
I took it to Luscious Garage, and they advised me
to spray Lysol in the air intake between the windshield
and the hood.  I thought the guy was nuts, but I did it,
and that did the job.  We thought we were going to have
to sell the car, it was so bad.  We kept it from coming
back by keeping the car on "fresh" rather than "recirc."

Additionally, when quilters have quilts that have a bad
smoke smell to them, they seal them into a plastic bag
with one or more bars of deodorant soap (unwrapped)
for a few days.  I've done it to other textiles, and it does
work.

In regards to what you should replace the truck with,
were it me, I would check Consumer Reports, check on
how many recalls and what types, things like that.
I think that personal advice is good, but I think it's also
good to pair it with statistics.

I can understand why your wife would object to the smoke
smell.  Even just a small amount triggers my asthma, and
there's nothing worse than being out on the road and not
being able to breathe suddenly.  I do carry albuterol, but it's
still unpleasant.

Shannah

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums