[Shop-talk] Formica counter

Subject: [Shop-talk] Formica counter
From: scott.hall.personal at gmail.com (Scott Hall)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:33:30 -0400
Re-surfacing a laminate countertop is apparently trivial (I say
apparently because I've never done it, but I've seen approximately
32,493 magazine articles and web sites about it).  We wanted to tile
over ours instead, which is also do-able.  The part I never figured out
satisfactorily was how to remove the back 'edging' from the existing
countertop.  And I have no idea how you deal with that if you want to
re-surface it with laminate, either.  Let me know if you find out?

Oh, and if you want to re-surface yours, Fine Homebuilding has several
write-ups of the process.  I know you can buy back issues, or a CD of
their entire archive.  No financial interest, they're just the only
place I'm sure that's covered it and has the information available.  But
I'll get Googling would get you there too.  It actually seemed pretty
simple.