Re: [Shop-talk] Formica counter

To: Brian Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Formica counter
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:26:19 -0700
Brian - If the substrate is good, I see two options that don't require
removing the counters.

1.  There are counter companies that will come and cover your existing
counter with a thin granite.  The sample I saw looked to be about 3/8"
think.  They put an edge on it around front/sides so it looked normal
counter thickness.  Their advertisements say they install new counters
in a day without a big mess.  I'd call some stone places and see if they
do that in your area.  If there is a built in backsplash, I expect they
just cut if off and make a new one slightly higher.

2.  Tile over the counter.   I was going to do this at my previous
house, so remember where I saw the details.  See
http://www.ronhazelton.com/article/home/kitchens/UDI4Mg/How_to_Install_Tile_Over_a_Laminate_Counter_Top_

for a product that gets attached to the counter and then is covered by
tile.

Should you take out the counter, here is an example
http://www.ronhazelton.com/article/home/kitchens/UDIwMg/P0061_How_to_Tile_a_Kitchen_Countertop_
where they put down backer board.

(If the links don't work, go to http://www.ronhazelton.com and search
for "tile countertop".  They are the first two results.

We sold the old house, so I didn't actually do this, but expect there
are lots of links and stories on how it worked.

Brian