[Shop-talk] Grass Pavers

Subject: [Shop-talk] Grass Pavers
From: jandkstone99 at msn.com (Jim Stone)
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 22:12:11 -0500
Does anyone here have experience with grass pavers (see
http://www.concretepaversguide.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-grass-pavers.html)?
The addition we are putting on the house is giving me about a 15x20' basement
area with a large enough opening to roll a car into.  It is officially not a
garage - that would have added lots of zoning complexity - but it is no
accident that the space and double doors to the outside just happen to be
large enough to allow an Alpine to to be rolled into the area for storage
and/or restoration work.

Our backyard slopes away from the house, and the 'driveway' into the storage
area is a fairly steep hill down.  I'll have to be careful rolling a car in
(especially one without brakes) and probably use a winch or second car to
lower it down.  There will be drainage at the bottom of the driveway and a
sump pump to take care of any extra water.

The original plans called for a concrete 'driveway' (I am not sure what to
call it, since the storage area is not officially a garage) but I am thinking
this is overkill for something that will only be used once or twice a year,
other than perhaps for my lawn mower, snow blower, etc.  We have a small
backyard, so that much concrete would also dominate the landscape.  Grass
pavers (perhaps with a concrete base) would seem like a perfect solution, but
I have never used them and don't know anyone who has.  But, since this group
seems to know everything, it seems like the right place to turn for answers.

As always, thanks in advance.

Jim