[Shop-talk] CAT Cable to Garage

Subject: [Shop-talk] CAT Cable to Garage
From: mikey at b2systems.com (Mike Rambour)
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 11:02:13 -0700
  In my case we ran 2 conduits, one for 100amp power and one for
everything else, same trench separated by a few inches of sand between
the 2 conduits.  The contractor said I could run the cat5 in the power
line but I also ran telephone, cable and 2 cat5's and 2 extra wires so I
could open the garage door remotely with a "doorbell" button by the back
door of the house.   I believe code in most places will require separate
conduits and my contractor was wrong about running both in one but I
wanted the second conduit anyway.

     mike

  p.s. before you ask I had a "reason" for the 2 cat5's, I run a web
server and it gets a different web connection than the rest of the
house, not for necessity but for ease of setup and lack of confusion.