[Shop-talk] faucets, mixing valves, and regular valves

Subject: [Shop-talk] faucets, mixing valves, and regular valves
From: eric at megageek.com (eric at megageek.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 09:41:01 -0400
Mark, the faucet that came with my wash tub allows me to directly attach a
hose to the end.  So it's a normal faucet, or I can put a hose on the end
and do whatever I need with the hose like a normal hose outlet.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Howdy,

I'm putting a laundry tub in my garage.  In addition to the regular
faucet, I'd like to have a separate hose bib so that I can run a short
section of garden hose w/a nozzle for spraying off stuff, filling up
buckets on the floor, etc.  I want it to be able to be hot/cold/whatever.

Initially I was thinking I'd replace the 'head' of the faucet with an
adapter to a T, then back to the faucet, with a hose bib off the side of
the T.

Looking around at Lowes, it looks like that may be hard to do.  So instead

I'm wondering if I can just Y off the incoming hot/cold water connections
and run one set to the faucet and the other set to a pair of 'gate valves'

(the configuration that looked most useful was called a "garden valve" at
Lowes), then to a Y, then to a hose bib.

And finally my question... Is a mixing valve like on a regular faucet just

two valves plumbed to a T or is there more to it than that?  I wasn't sure

if there was some type of one way valve incorporated as well, so that a
fully open hot water valve couldn't 'push' hot water into a partially
opened cold water valve.

Appreciate any pointers!

Mark